I’m joined today by Wei Li Lim, a RevOps guru with an ex-Hubspot pedigree who has spent the last year and a half running global RevOps at scale up EdApp. Wei Li and I chat about lessons on scaling including the importance of data and structuring your data to help your sales teams close pipeline deals faster and your CSM team stay on top of renewals.
We get into the nitty gritty of working as a conduit between multiple teams at the end of the sales pipeline and how you can build out systems to make life easier as you scale.
Some of lessons on scale we cover
- Understanding how to structure RevOps data and what data a deal desk should track to help the business scale
- Standarization of contracts to ensure data can work at high volumes
- How to build out CRM’s to capture data in the flow of work and have the correct people capturing it
- Ensuring data integrity across systems
- Building reliable reports that the business can agree on as a source of truth
A background to RevOp’s and how they learn lessons on scaling
Revenue Operations, or RevOps, sometimes referred to as deal desk, plays a pivotal role in scaling the data systems of a startup. At its core, RevOps is the unification of sales, marketing, and customer service operations, which works towards aligning these teams around the singular goal of revenue generation. Here’s how RevOps aids in scaling a startup’s data systems:
- Data Consolidation and Integration: As startups grow, so does their data from various departments such as marketing, sales, and customer service. RevOps ensures the consolidation of this data into a single, unified system. They integrate different software used by various departments, helping to create a singular, holistic view of the data.
- Data Accuracy and Quality Control: By breaking down silos between departments, RevOps enhances the accuracy and reliability of data. They ensure that all departments are working with the same, most up-to-date information, reducing discrepancies and errors.
- Scalable Processes and Infrastructure: As startups scale, so does the need for advanced data systems capable of handling increased data volume and complexity. RevOps helps implement scalable CRM systems, data warehouses, and other infrastructure essential for managing and analyzing large data sets.
- Data Analysis and Decision Making: RevOps utilizes data to analyze performance across different departments, making strategic decisions to drive revenue growth. By identifying trends and patterns, they provide critical insights and lessons on scaling that guide marketing, sales, and customer service strategies.
- Data Governance and Compliance: With growth comes greater responsibility to ensure data privacy and comply with various regulations. RevOps establishes data governance policies to ensure data is handled appropriately and in compliance with all relevant laws.
- Improved Customer Understanding: With a unified data system, RevOps can deliver a 360-degree view of the customer, raising this view to the correct people at the correct time leads to better understanding and improved customer interactions. This enhances customer satisfaction and leads to increased sales and revenue.
- Automation: To accommodate growth, RevOps leverages automation tools to handle repetitive data management tasks. These tools can be CRM’s or data visualization or data connectors. This not only improves efficiency but also frees up time for staff to focus on more strategic, revenue-generating activities.
RevOps and people like Wei Li play an integral role in scaling data systems, especially from a sales point of view, by promoting data integration, ensuring accuracy, implementing scalable infrastructure, driving data-based decision making, and maintaining data compliance. By doing so, they not only help startups manage their growing data needs but also drive overall business growth.